Mental Health During Coronavirus
Why is mental health such a concern?
1) If you have a pre existing condition like anxiety or OCD, these can be made worse because of the fear and anxiety around Coronavirus.
2) Even without a diagnosed condition, anxiety is at very high levels while we all try and cope with the uncertainty around Coronavirus and its effect on our lives.
3) Isolation has left some of the most vulnerable in our society stuck at home with their abuser.
4) Financial insecurity causes distress.
5) The indefinite nature of this issue means we need to develop resilience. This is a marathon, not a sprint, and we must develop coping skills to help us through.
6) Being isolated at home takes a lot of mental resilience. We're all in this boat together, yet apart, and need to be able to cope with this.
So what can we do?
At Muslim Youth Helpline we are taking more enquiries than ever, and you can read more about these here.
This page will be regularly updated with new information and ideas to help you and your loved ones get through these difficult times.
Staying Healthy Through Coronavirus
Economic Abuse and the coronavirus outbreak (Source: SEA)
Working from home and Domestic Abuse (Source: Restored)
Great tips on managing your mental health during Covid-19 (Source: Rethink)
If you're having distressing thoughts, here are 30 grounding techniques to explore. (Source: Healthline)
If you're experiencing panic attacks, here are some useful ways to stop them.
Official sources of information:
Great advice from Asthma UK if you have asthma
Read the latest advice on Coronavirus from Doctors of the World
Unicef provide regular updates and information here.
Domestic Abuse / Survivors
Domestic abuse victims can leave home during lockdown (Source: The Independent)
If you are, or know, a survivor of abuse, here are some safety tips during this time. (Source: Refuge)
Here is some safety advice for survivors (Source: Women's Aid)
Useful things to watch
Fun things to do
Tweets to Read
All Clear have compiled information and videos on how to understand faith and fiqh in times of uncertainty.
Keeping In Touch
The MCB has a volunteer portal you can use to sign up for volunteering